Community Home Safety Technician
- £27041 PA
- Closing date:
Full Time, permanent position
Starting Salary £27,401 p.a.
Department: Community Safety Prevention
Reports to: Home Safety & Partnerships Watch Manager
It's an exciting time to join DSFRS, the largest non-metropolitan fire and rescue service in the UK. Fire and Rescue Services are changing, and we are no exception. Our role goes far beyond fighting fires and we are continually looking for ways to build on our effectiveness and efficiency to improve Public and Staff safety.
About the Role
As the Community Home Safety Technician, you will be responsible for developing, generating and delivering Community Safety initiatives to the residents of Devon and Somerset, working in partnership with outside agencies and Fire Service personnel to enhance quality of life, to save lives and deliver the service goals in relation to Community Fire Safety.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- To promote and advise on Community Safety and the wider determinants of health and wellbeing, through the delivery of HSV (Home Safety Visits) that contribute to improving outcomes for the most vulnerable.
- To provide education and advice in delivering interventions to reduce risks and change behaviours.
- To provide a non-blue light response to calls for assistance on behalf of other agencies.
- To provide a bespoke care package (in relation to fire safety) for the individual based on a complex risk assessment.
- To be creative, find solutions to risk critical situations, provide and install a wide range of situational fire risk-reduction equipment.
- To demonstrate experience and competence in managing sensitive, confidential and disclosed information in accordance with service policy. Working in line with DSFRS’s Children, Young People and Vulnerable Adults Safeguarding policies.
- To adopt and promote a positive approach to equal opportunities, equality, diversity and fairness.
- To attend relevant meetings/seminars as a representative for DSFRS.
- Any other duties commensurate with the responsibilities and grading of the post.
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for someone with experience and ability to work flexibly as a member of a team with minimal supervision, using your own initiative:
- Professional Qualification related to working with vulnerable groups and or relevant work experience.
- Public Services BTEC Diploma Level 3 or equivalent work experience.
- Experience with IT, particularly Microsoft Office applications, apps and internet.
- Good interpersonal skills to develop and maintain effective working relationships.
- An ability to work with vulnerable groups and employees with appropriate regard to Safeguarding of Children, Young People and Vulnerable Adults legislation and policies.
- Proven ability/understanding of the need to maintain appropriate confidentiality.
- A basic understanding of types of building construction to aid the selection and use of appropriate equipment fixing solutions.
- Proven ability in managing equipment and resources.
- Good working knowledge of Health and Safety and other relevant legislation.
- Good working knowledge of the risk-assessment process and fire risk-reduction measures.
- Sound understanding of Community Safety prevention within the Fire and Rescue Service.
- Knowledge and understanding of meeting the needs of people who are tenants.
- Knowledge and understanding of working in/or with minority communities.
- Willingness to undertake the appropriate level of disclosure.
- Willingness to undergo Security Control/Vetting as required by the Service.
- Ability to travel to all areas within Devon and Somerset and, if required, further afield.
This role will require you to undergo an Enhanced DBS check.
How to apply for the Community Safety Technician role:
If you have the skills and experience required for this position, click “apply” today and check your inbox for an email providing more information on how to tailor your application and provide a cover letter or any supporting documents.
You must be eligible to work in the UK.
Other suitable skills and experience include: Health and Safety Officer, Community Safety Officer, Administration, Fire Safety Technician, Safety Manager, Fire Service Jobs Devon, Fire Service jobs Somerset