Technical Projects Manager
- £32,000 - £38,000 + Bonus + Benefits
- Closing date:
Our client provide a wide range of ICT services to both Education and Business markets and have been doing so for almost three decades. They design, install and maintain data (cat5,6, fibre), Wifi, Audio Visual, Telephony, CCTV and security systems predominantly within Worcestershire and surrounding counties. They also provide a range of IT support services across various technology platforms.
The new Technical Projects and Programme Manager role is a fundamental part of the new business strategic direction following a review during 2020. Its primary goal is to raise the technical professionalism of the Infrastructure department and to marry network and infrastructure design to product development and IT support.
About the role
The Technical Projects and Programme Manager (TPPM) will manage and be responsible for the successful delivery of the companies technical infrastructure programme across all technical disciplines. These include Data, Audio Visual, Security and Telephony. The scope of the role extends from the initial customer enquiry through to final project sign-off and then post project technical support.
The TPPM will be responsible for all aspects of the infrastructure build programme including but not limited to the following:
- Overall systems technical design - this includes Layer 2/3 switched infrastructure, WiFi, Audio Visual, Telecoms and Security design.
- Topology level schematics detailing key component inter-connectivity
- Physical layer design and planning including fibre optic OM1-4, Cat6a/6/5e, CW1308, HDMI 2.0, RG6/58
- Detailed desk/site surveys as required and in sufficient detail to determine budgetary cost estimates and quotations to be issued to primary and M&E contractors.
- Resource (People and materials) scheduling and management in conjunction and close correspondence with the Office Manager
- Resource (People and materials) capacity forecasting and management
- Managing all “in-life” aspects to ensure all stakeholders are fully informed of the project status and key dependencies.
- Contribute to all aspects of project Health and Safety including the creation of Risk and Method Statements (RAMS), field staff H&S training and communication of Health and Safety related legislation as and when required.
- Work with NBL’s appointed H&S retained consultant to assist in the annual CHAS submission to retain appropriate accreditations
- The hiring of contract engineer resources and ensuring compliance to all company health and safety policies and selection criteria.
The Technical Projects Manager will form an important part of the management team and will therefore be expected to act and behave in the appropriate manner. Attendance at management meetings will be required and some of the MD’s responsibilities may be delegated from time-to-time.
Ideally you will have at least 7 years’ experience within an ICT function – preferably as a Network Manager, ICT Manager, Technical Project Manager etc, coupled with experience of working within Local Education and/or Business environments.
Educated to degree/HND level in a relevant discipline with additional technical qualifications and with a clean and full UK driving licence.
You will be a commercially aware, completer-finisher who is fastidious in terms of accuracy and possess the communication skills to articulate complex systems and programmes to non-technical staff and customers. Self-motivated, with the desire to act on one’s own initiative and a can-do attitude.
Technical skills required:
- Excellent technical understanding of Data, Voice (including VoIP) and AV systems particularly within an educational /business environment.
- Ability to design an end-to-end system including all aspects and components.
- Must be able to matrix manage project resources (both NBL and contract) without direct Line Management responsibility
- Very good technical knowledge of HP/Aruba/Ubiquiti network equipment design and system components highly desirable, preferably with relevant accreditations i.e UBWA, 3CX
- Demonstrable experience of operating WLAN site survey tools such as Ekahau or Netspot in order to produce WLAN “Heatmap” surveys and related quotations. ECSE certification desirable.
- Good technical knowledge of Audio Visual and Security concepts, products and services including Hikvision, Paxton, Promethean and Epson etc.
- Able to use Microsoft Excel to intermediate level in order to generate project and financial spreadsheets
- Able to use Microsoft Project or other software in order to create project GANTT and WBS charts
- Use a CAD or similar drawing package desirable i.e Visio, Smartdraw or Autocad
- Working knowledge of construction based Health and Safety criteria and practices. Ideally Managing IOSH trained with practical experience of CPP.
How to apply for the Technical Projects Manager job:
If you wish to be considered for this Technical Projects Manager job, please click ‘apply’ and watch out for an email giving you more information on how to tailor your application and provide a cover letter or any other supporting documents you may have.
You will be required to clear CRB / DBS check and ideally a CSCS / ECS check.